I've talked about my book collection, and while it is better to be addicted to the written word rather than, say, heroine, it's still an addiction. And it doesn't just stop at books, I have addictions to many things. Sweets are another problem. DVDs... I don't really want to list them all, but you get the idea...
Right now I am completely addicted to the television show Dexter. There are a couple of interesting little factoids about this show and me... 1) I'm pretty sure the person that convinced me to watch the show, because he said it was SOOO good, no longer watches it. I don't think he watched past the second season. 2) I had the first two seasons on DVD for quite a while before my husband watched them, because he didn't think it looked interesting. Now he's more addicted than I am. And 3) Dexter is based on the book Darkly Dreaming Dexter by Jeff Lindsay, and it's not nearly as good as the television series. I consider that an anomaly...
I read this book quite a while ago, probably about 4 years ago. I really could have skipped it and I would have saved about 2 nights of my time. But I felt I needed to read the book first, as is my forte. It was an easy read and really nothing special. After reading it and watching the first season of the TV series, I found out that the second season completely deviates from the books, so I quit and didn't read any more of the books. I've never looked back.
The TV series on the other hand... oh my gosh. EVERY season I am left dying to know what happens next. There have been many nights where I am seriously torn between watching another episode or going to bed in order to NOT be exhausted the next morning. Often I have to tell myself several times that the episode will still be there in the morning, and I don't need to watch it right now... sometimes logic wins, and sometimes it doesn't. Yeesh.
But really, who knew a serial killer could be so lovable? :)
~*~
Meet Dexter Morgan, a polite wolf in sheep's clothing. He's handsome and charming, but something in his past has made him abide by a different set of rules. He's a serial killer whose one golden rule makes him immensely likeable: he only kills bad people. And his job as a blood splatter expert for the Miami police department puts him in the perfect position to identify his victims. But when a series of brutal murders bearing a striking similarity to his own style start turning up, Dexter is caught between being flattered and being frightened -- of himself or some other fiend.
I did write a review of this one on my visual bookshelf, but it was only two sentences... "Skip the books, just watch the TV series. It has a way stronger plot and better character development."
Quick and simple. This book really didn't need to take up any more of my time.


Who was the suggester? Do I know him?? ;)
ReplyDeleteDid you know he's on with Jian Ghomeshi tomorrow on the Q? http://www.cbc.ca/q/
I love Dexter!! Cute and has a great looking kitchen:) Too bad he is a serial killer lol.
ReplyDeleteTrilogy is by far the BEST season. It still gives me goose bumps in the end....keep watching :)
Dani - Yup, I think you married him. I remember asking him about it when I first started watching it and he said he'd stopped. Did he ever pick it up again?
ReplyDeleteShauna - I think you mean Trinity, and yes. I totally agree. He was SO creepy. John Lithgow did an awesome job.
... Is it bad that hearing that he has a great kitchen made me want to watch it? Seriously... something's wrong with me.
ReplyDeleteNo... he hasn't watched them since. He replaced Dexter with The Wire at that point and then never went back? :/