A blog by a self declared book geek and snob, dedicated to everything bookish...

Thursday, October 24, 2013

I don't even know what to title this post...

I'm a little irrational sometimes when it comes to animals. Just the thought of the day when we will have to put Boca to sleep brings tears to my eyes, and she's only 5 years old and in perfect health. There is no need for me to be thinking about this, but I know it's an inevitable that I will outlive her... the best case scenario is really that we get the opportunity to put her to sleep and not have something awful happen to her that would deprive us of our goodbyes (Yup, started crying typing those last 12 words)

Tonight, while I was driving home from getting groceries I was driving down Kingsmere (close to the first entrance to Christopher if you know the neighbourhood) toward our house and saw a cat that had been hit by a car and was lying in the middle of the road. Like, smack in the middle, on the dotted line. I drove slightly more to the right, slowed down, but kept driving. I had the urge to turn around right after I passed him, but didn't, I had groceries in the car... but by the time I had gotten to our house I had decided to tell the boys to unload the car and take the truck back to check on the cat. So, that's what I did. I drove back to the cat and I pulled over and parked and went to the middle of the road. The cat wasn't moving and his mouth and eyes were wide open, so I was pretty sure he was dead. He was still warm, and wasn't in rigour yet, so I picked him up and took him to the sidewalk. He didn't have a collar or anything, so I didn't know what to do. No collar meant that I couldn't call anyone, but I didn't just want to leave him on someones lawn. That seemed unfair, putting a dead body on someones lawn... that's worse than a flaming bag of poo without any humour attached to it. But as I was standing there with a dead cat in my arms, the guy who's lawn I was standing next to came over, it looked like he was outside for a smoke or something. I automatically said sorry (which I think made him conclude that I hit the cat, but I didn't think of that at the time) and that I saw him when I drove by earlier and I couldn't just leave him there. He said it wasn't his, but he was pretty sure it was from the house across the street. I asked which house, and he pointed. I was about to take the dead cat over there and ring the doorbell, but I think seeing that I was on the verge of tears, he told me to just put down the cat on his lawn and he would go over to the house. I said sorry to the guy again (not sure why, because I was putting the cat on his lawn maybe?) put the cat down, petted him one more time and then got in the truck and cried. I pulled a u-turn to drive home and saw the guy talking to someone at the door of the house I pointed out, but I didn't hang around to find out if it was theirs or not.

I feel a little bit silly. Clearly no one else cared to move the cat, the guy that helped me out clearly didn't want to touch the dead cat... is it normal to move someones dead pet out of the road?  I suppose I would hope someone would do the same if something like that happened to Boca (tears again), so maybe this is a "do unto others..." type thing. It felt right in anycase, and I think the guilt would have effected my sleep if I didn't go back.

This was initially meant to be a facebook status update, but I didn't know how to phrase it so that it didn't sound like I was fishing for complements or something. I just want to know if this is an irrational act, or if you would have done the same, or if you would want someone to do what I did if it was your pet... or was it just weird. PLEASE give me your thoughts!

3 comments:

  1. Hey, I did the same thing once. But I didn't have somebody to tell me who the cat belonged to... I did leave it on someone's lawn. I did feel bad about that, but I just wanted the cat off the road - kind of like a respect thing, so it wouldn't get run over again. If it was my pet, I think it would be nice if someone moves it off the road for me.

    ReplyDelete
  2. UPDATE: When Roland went out tonight I asked him to drive by the house that I left the cat at and he said he didn't see it. He was a big, fluffy, orange cat, so I think he would have seen him if he was still there. So I am choosing to believe his family came and got him... maybe I can get some sleep now...

    ReplyDelete