A blog by a self declared book geek and snob, dedicated to everything bookish...

Friday, February 27, 2015

Ch-ch-ch-changes...

Really, there aren't that many changes, but I am sick of calling my random and far between posts "Updates" so... it's more interesting.

One thing I forgot to mention on the last post is that Dominic is now sleeping in crib in his own room. That was really a bigger change for me than it was for him, and he adjusted just fine to it. He's my little rocket man.

We've met with a few more doctors the past couple weeks and I was hoping I would be able to post that his lip surgery has been scheduled, but it hasn't.

Let me take a step back to explain why that is.

Dominic is still not taking all of his feeds orally yet. He likes to eat, and occasionally will polish off his entire feed without needing to put it through his tube, but too often he falls asleep or gets too frustrated. He's getting better, but he's not there yet. So because he still needs the tube, or A tube of some kind, we are opting to go for a slightly longer term method in order to get that tube off of his face, and out of his nose in order to make for a better recovery from his lip and palate surgeries. We call this his "G Button", and it will go directly into his tummy rather than in his nose, down his oesophagus and into his belly. It's a small surgery with about 3 days of recovery time in hospital.

We FINALLY got to meet with the plastic surgeon after she cancelled on us twice to talk about what to expect, and it was all pretty straight forward, not a lot of new info, but she did say the absolute earliest she could do Dominic's lip is the beginning of May, which is far later than I would like. He will be almost 9 months by then, and it was my understanding that he really should have had it done before his 6 month birthday. The delay for him is physically fine, but I really wanted to get this done sooner.

The thing that is the real bugger is that early may is the absolute earliest for her, but they are trying to coordinate doctors to do the G Button, the lip, AND put tubes in his ears at the same OR time. Trying to coordinate 3 doctors at once is like trying to herd cats, so I am not too hopeful. They just want to do them all at once so that they don't have to sedate him as much, but our options are wait until he's 47 to have them all done at once or do multiple surgeries. So we opted for the latter in hopes that we can get him in earlier for both. But it makes me wonder if she had actually shown up for the first appointment if it would have been done already. But whatever. Coulda, shoulda, wouldas don't get us anywhere.

Oy vey. So, I'll try to keep the blog updated on that front...

New news with me is that I am officially actively seeking a new job, preferably a teaching one. I am totally done with the jail. I've had enough negativity that comes with working in that place. I will miss SO many of my coworkers, but the black hole where all employee positivity goes is just too much of a suck. I applied to work in the Saskatoon Public and Prairie Spirit School Divisions at the end of January and I had my first interview for Sask Public yesterday. It went really well and I am hopeful I will at least get that second interview, and maybe potentially a job, even if it is just subbing. Of course I am MONTHS away from knowing anything for certain, but at least I was informed that I will be notified whether I get something or not, so that's a plus.

I really need to get out of the jail and I feel this is the best way to go about it. I really do love teaching and hope that I can use that pesky piece of University paper that I paid SO much money for ;)

No comments:

Post a Comment