A blog by a self declared book geek and snob, dedicated to everything bookish...

Tuesday, February 9, 2016

P.S. I Still Love You


Lara Jean didn’t expect to really fall for Peter.
She and Peter were just pretending. Except suddenly they weren’t. Now Lara Jean is more confused than ever.
When another boy from her past returns to her life, Lara Jean’s feelings for him return too. Can a girl be in love with two boys at once?

In this charming and heartfelt sequel to the New York Timesbestseller To All the Boys I've Loved Before, we see first love through the eyes of the unforgettable Lara Jean. Love is never easy, but maybe that’s part of what makes it so amazing.
 




This book was not really the book I expected it to be, but that's not a bad thing. I think that can be a problem with sequels sometimes. We expect them to tell a certain story, but when they don't we get disappointed. I really liked To All The Boys I've Loved Before, and so I had an idea of where the plot for this one was going to go (because I knew that it starts directly after where the first one ends). I thought it was going to dance around around how Lara Jean felt after the conclusion of the first book, figure out how she felt about the whole thing, and then in the second half it would inevitably come to a conclusion. That seems to be a standard plotline for a Young Adult novel sequel. But NOPE! I was entirely wrong. What I thought would be the entire book wrapped up in basically the first few chapters of the book and then had an entirely different plot for the rest of it. A FAR better option that the one I envisioned. Things got back to normal pretty quickly, and I liked that. Generally Highschool Drama is either resolved quickly or not at all. True story. 

Speaking of Highschool Drama, this book made me glad I never dated in highschool (or, the adult equivalency, dated coworkers). When you have to remain in an environment where contact is inevitable, I wouldn't have wanted to deal with break ups, and exes. The constant pouring of salt in wounds doesn't really appeal to me. Genevieve is even more cowish in this novel that on many occassions I hoped that Lara Jean had some hidden ninja talents or something and would just punch her out (not really, that would have been lame for a plot, but if Lara Jean was me, I would have smacked her). Peter... ugh... just... Peter. I'll just say his actions had me zigzagging about what I wanted to happen with him, but I'm happy with how things turned out in the end with him. 

One of the highlights for me was this homemade game the group had that they played in middle school called Assassins. I LOVED reading about that stupid game. It seemed like SO much fun! If I had read this back then I would have totally tried to get some friends to play it. The only thing I wondered about is what would happen if you got your own name before the game was over.

It was a pretty tough go for me for a while there with sequels! This one has ended the sequel slump I was in! I really liked it and felt it was on par with the first. It was still that same silly, yet likely love life of a teenager. The Teen Rom Com of novels. Light, fluffy, and full of cheese. If you liked that in the first one, then definitely read this one!

1 comment: