A blog by a self declared book geek and snob, dedicated to everything bookish...

Sunday, January 27, 2013

eReader: 1st Impressions

Willful Blindness was my first library book on the eReader I got for Xmas. So after completing at least one book on my eReader, I've got a few opinions on what I like and dislike about it. These are my initial pros and cons...

Pros:
- Brayden got me a case, so my book comes with a built in booklight. VERY convenient .. cuz I don't know where my actual book light is right now...
- Don't have to worry about damaging a spine! Holla!
- Have you ever been reading a book in bed, and gotten comfortable reading on your side, and then when you have to read the next page (whether it is by flipping the page or just adjusting the position of the book) it's not nearly as comfortable anymore? Not a problem with the eReader!

Cons:
- I find it irritating to flip forward to see how much longer a chapter is. I do this often with my real books, because sometimes I need to know how much longer a chapter is to determine whether I should stop where I am, or keep reading until the chapter ends.
- Sometimes, the ereader buggers up the book. Like, all of a sudden it will jump ahead by a page or it will have the same page twice in a row. If I go onto the computer, the book is fine on there... so... I'm not sure why this happens
- Sometimes, when I just stop reading the ereader without turning it off, and it goes into sleep mode (which is kinda a 'pro' itself), but then it puts me either a page back or a page forward when I turn it back on.


So, there aren't any real deal breakers either way with this one. So far so good, I suppose. But the whole nuance of an actual book can't be replaced with an ereader, but the convenience and lack of damage to an ereader are definite pluses!

IF you have an ereader, I'd love to hear your pros and cons too!

4 comments:

  1. None, here... but I love this: "Don't have to worry about damaging a spine! Holla!" ;)

    I do understand too, what you mean about it being more difficult to just flip forward (or back)... when using D's, I often found it difficult to jump backwards to check for comprehension of a previous idea.

    ReplyDelete
  2. On my e-reader, when you check your place in the book it tells you how many pages you have left of the particular chapter you are on. As long as the book is from a legitimate source, like purchased and I assume the library. But not downloaded (illegally .. sssh..) books.

    Does yours have that option?
    AND did you find out if your library book disappears?

    ReplyDelete
  3. p.s.! case with a light built in?? I want one!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Mine does not have that option. The only options it has is to go back to the table of contents, then you can click the chapter to jump to, or choose an exact page number...

    And the library books do vanish! It kinda looks like it's still there, but if you click on the book it's all like "error! Does not exist!" or something.

    And yes. The case is awesome :)

    ReplyDelete