A blog by a self declared book geek and snob, dedicated to everything bookish...

Tuesday, October 14, 2014

Home Sweet Home

Dominic is home for real this time, much to my surprise.

The last 2 days we were given passes for 8+ hours and they went great. It was fabulous to have those hours of family time to see how things went and realize that we can actually do this. Although it was a bit disappointing to bring him back each night, it was comforting to know that he was being monitored by someone that was awake and qualified to help him if he needed it. Not to mention it was great to get a good night's sleep (but I don't think I'm supposed to say or think things like that as a parent...)

I was told by the cardiologists last week that he likely wouldn't be able to go home until after their conference call with all of the cardiologists across western Canada (which happens every Tuesday by the way), so I was expecting to get the go ahead to go home on Wednesday morning. But if I have learned anything from Dominic's hospital experience, nothing is predictable. I should have known. This morning when I went to see him, I had Rosalie in tow. Up until this point we have tried to keep her hospital visits as short as her attention span , which if you know any two-year olds you know it's pretty short. So the plan was to clarify my day pass and then get the heck out of there, but when I arrived my nurse asked what my plan was, I told her, and was then informed that they won't be approving a day pass because he needed to be in hospital in order to be discharged. I was happy about this, but the situation was not ideal. I hadn't planned on doing anything at the hospital, and now I had to  (wanted to, really) feed him before heading out. Also, I wasn't ready at home. Things needed to be done that I was planning on doing after I returned Dominic to the hospital that night.

But all of the necessities were done before he got discharged, a new plan is in the works for Edmonton, and I am SO happy to have my boy home. 


2 comments: