When we met with Dominic's plastic surgeon back in Febuary, we were told that she had tentatively scheduled Dominic's cleft lip surgery for the beginning of May. I was disappointed to hear that then because that would make him 9 months old by that time. That's quite a bit later than the 3-4 months old we were initally told when he was born, and the 4-6 months they said after his heart surgeries. But it had to be accepted. His heart surgeries did put us back a bit, and I understand that, but I really want this surgery over and done with. I am starting to be concerned about the effect his cleft is having on his speech development. He is significantly behind already because of it and it seems the longer we wait for this surgery, the further it delays his development.
So it was another staggering blow to find out that it has been delayed even more. I called the Plastic Surgeon's office today because I hadn't gotten a letter stating his surgery date yet, and it was starting to concern me. Plus, I have learned the benefit of being the squeaky (albeit polite) wheel. His date has now been bumped to (still tentitively) June 8th. His 10-month birthday.
At this rate he is actually eligible to have his cleft palate surgery at this point as well. We were told 10 - 14 months for that one. But if that one is delayed as much as this one has been, we'll be lucky if we get that one done before his 2nd birthday....
No comments:
Post a Comment