A blog by a self declared book geek and snob, dedicated to everything bookish...

Sunday, March 8, 2015

Reading Challenge 2015/New Years Resolution

Initially I didn't plan on doing a reading challenge at all this year. I felt swamped after Dominic came home and sleep was being sacrificed on a daily basis to keep my house from falling apart. So I didn't feel I had enough spare time to dedicate to reading a book. I would do other things like video games and blogging (small bits at a time ;) ) to wind down, it was easier to do those things on auto pilot than trying to remember what I read last in a book.
However, now that Dominic, Rosalie, and I have gotten into a reasonable daytime routine, Dominic has fewer feeds throughout the day, and I get a lot of housework done while I have a respite nurse for a few hours during the day a few times a week, I find myself having a bit more time in the evenings to myself. There are still days that are crazy when I just go to bed 3 hours earlier than usual, but that is not the norm. So I did start my reading challenge, but I'm not really counting this year. I'm using it to get me motivated and back into a reading routine. Initially I said I wouldn't set a reading goal until I could complete the challenge that I failed last year, instead I will restart that challenge, 26 books, once I can complete this one.

2015 Reading Challenge

2015 Reading Challenge
Annie has read 0 books toward her goal of 10 books.
hide
So my challenge this year is 10 books. That's one per month starting in March. I think I can do it. I started reading my first book last night, and I felt like I was on drugs. It was SO AWESOME! Who needs heroine when you can feel this good from just reading?!? It was seriously a breath of fresh air. I can't wait to post another book review.
~*~

I am not one for New Years Resolutions. I find it silly to plan to better ones self just because it's a new year. You should always want to better yourself regardless of the time of year! No time like the present so why would it make sense to wait if that may mean losing resolve before it can actually get started?!
Right after Xmas, when I saw the pictures of myself over the holidays I noticed how much bigger I was than is normal for me. So when I weighed myself I was disappointed, rather than shocked, to realize that I was only down about 15 lbs from when I was pregnant with Dominic, so I was about 20 lbs heavier than my pre-pregnancy weight. There are lots if reasons for this, two examples are 1) I wasn't breastfeeding, and I couldn't pump enough to keep my supply going, so the weight didn't drop off like it did with Rosalie. And 2) being overwhelmed by everything made me just stay home a lot, so I didn't move around as much leading to fewer calories being burned and 2.5) I'm not walking Boca as much any more for the same reason. My fabulous amazing little brother comes over to walk her for me, which helps out immensely. I hope to get back in that routine in Spring when it's nicer outside.
Roland has also complained about his weight often in the past year, and we are both a tad on the competitive side, so when I decided that I wanted to do something to shed a few pounds, I proposed a bit of a contest between Roland and me. We have no reward, no time frame, no units of measure, but just that we are competing to get trimmer and get healthier. We did start weighing ourselves because that is a finite way to measure progress. Roland also decided to take pictures, I opted not to do that. We are using different methods, he's using this P90X program that is an insane psycho home work out that made him hurt for 3 days, I am just opting to get more exercise when I can. So far that's just been while we are at Lakewood Civic Centre for swimming lessons. Brayden has his lessons first and then we have a 35 minute break and then Rosalie and I go. So once we get to there, Brayden heads into the pool, Rosalie goes into the playroom with the child minders, and I get about 45 minutes of cardio in before I go pick her up to get ready for swimming. So far it's going pretty well for everyone. Rosalie loves the play area and I am happy with how my workouts are going, even if it is only once a week. The great bonus to this plan is that I get to go swimming after which is a good way to cool down. I'm not sure what my plan will be after swimming is done, we only have two classes left, but maybe it'll just mean leaving ALL of the kids with Roland while I go... we'll see how he likes that ;)

So the Anti-NewYearsResolutioner now has a New Years Resolution, but it was all just convenient timing. I still probably won't have one next year ;)

3 comments:

  1. Good luck with your goals! It will be interesting to see how your reading goes this year now.

    I had my new years resolutions made for me on january 1st. To walk more, ride my bike more and take the bus more.

    Ha ha. "Little" brother ;)

    -JMc

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really like your thoughts about the resolutions. You should always be working towards being better, no matter when. I still make them, but try to watch it all year instead of just writing it down for the day. (Also it always makes a good Blog post at the start of the year, lol).
    I'm going to message you something I just found for a 2015 reading challenge. It's a neat idea. Can be used any year, or just until it's done. (Timelines aren't important for it, in my opinion.)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. (and by 'you' I mean everybody. Haha. Or 'me'. :)

      Delete