A blog by a self declared book geek and snob, dedicated to everything bookish...

Thursday, May 14, 2015

Post Surgery: Day 2

It's crazy how fast things can change for the worse while in the hospital. And it's never for the better. It always takes a long time for things to progressively get better, but it only takes an instant for things to be perfectly fine and planning to go home tomorrow, to probably staying an extra night.

Everything was going swimmingly today. Dom was more awake, less uncomfortable, we were standing him up and cuddling a bit, compared to yesterday where he barely tolerated being touched. The surgeon that did his g button came in and saw him and he said as long as he tolerated all of his feeds he could go home tomorrow morning. 

We were told at about 6:30 that he would be moving out of the observation rooms and into a regular one (same one he was in back in sept/oct, although a different bed), which was fine. I figured it was only one night, so he'd be fine. They moved him about 8:30, and we popped him to his new bed, pulled him into the chair to see if he would eat (he didn't) before just putting his food through his new g button, but as soon as we had him back in his bed to settle, he puked. And he puked BIG. Before even any food had gone through his tube. Without knowing why it happened, we tried feeding him his feed anyway only to have him puke big again once the food had just gotten to his belly. Ugh.

So this will probably keep him in hospital at least another night. Not that anyone has told us that yet, but if that was the condition the surgeon put forward and Dominic didn't meet that requirement, I feel it's a pretty safe bet. 

When it comes to hospitals, I'm becoming one of those people that just assumes the worst. I'm hoping I'm wrong and there is a reasonable explanation as to why he puked that doesn't effect us going home. But I'll talk to the doctor tomorrow and see what he says.

Wish me luck!

3 comments:

  1. I got your comments a few weeks ago, and just haven't had the opportunity to write back. Do you have Facebook? PLEASE add me! There is actually a 22q11 Western Canadian FB page that I and some others have started, and we actually organized a "22q at the Zoo" event at the Calgary Zoo which we hope to continuously grow over the next few yrs.

    Anyways, add me on FB so we can talk more!

    ReplyDelete
  2. PS. For obvious reasons, even though I helped organize it, we unfortunately won't be able to attend the event, as Evanna is still in the PCICU

    ReplyDelete