A blog by a self declared book geek and snob, dedicated to everything bookish...

Thursday, July 2, 2015

Canada Day 2015!

HAPPY CANADA DAY!!! (and happy almost Independence Day to any American Readers... and... um... happy Wednesday to anyone outside of North America)


Family Photo! This may be a Canada Day tradition too. (edited with instagram)

I was pretty happy with our Canada Day celebrations this year. We have now cemented our plan for our annual Canada Day traditions with a trip to Lathey Pool in the afternoon (weather permitting of course) and a family movie in the evening. When I got thinking about it this year, I realized that for our family our Canada Day is really more like our Family Day than the actual Family Day in February is. In the middle of winter there isn't as much to do with little ones, so we end up just staying home and "taking a day off". Perhaps that will change when the kids are older and we can go tobogganing or skiing or something... or if we win the lottery and can go to Hawaii every year... but for now, it is what it is. Canada Day being the beginning of summer vacation for the kids is a great excuse to go out and do some fun things as a family. A couple of years ago I lamented my choice to avoid going to the lake, but now I am happy with this choice. This is definitely my favourite holiday of the year.

The empty pool after we had been there for an hour. Just how I like it!

Our afternoon of swimming at Lathey Pool was a pretty good time, although not perfect. It was not the hottest day, which was too bad because I didn't end up taking Dominic in the pool. It was nice, but once you were out of the pool it got chilly pretty fast, especially if the wind was up. But Rosalie had a great time on the water slide and she was in and out of the pool quite a bit, Brayden barely left the pool, and Roland seemed to have a good time. Since I wasn't wet and cold it was still pretty nice sitting on the grass next to the pool watching the kids swim, not much suntanning though ;) The benefit to it not being super hot is that there were not that many people at the pool. It was pretty low key and I didn't have to worry about Rosalie getting bowled over by anyone and the lines for the waterslide weren't that long, so she didn't get to cold on the way up. Plus no heat stroke or sunburn. Yay! There were also a few extra activities going on because it was Lathey's 60th Birthday! So Rosalie got a couple balloon animals from a clown and we all ate some cake. There was also face painting, sidewalk chalk, and a few billboards of info about Lathey's history. Good times!

Smelling the Peonies before we head out to the movie!

In the evening we had Grandma and Grandpa come stay with Dominic while the rest of us went to see Inside Out! Rosalie has really been looking forward to seeing it ever since she got an "Anger" bag from a kids meal at Subway. Last year we went to How to Train Your Dragon 2, and she only got out of her seat about 1/2 way through the movie to start seat hopping, this time she sat for about an hour of the movie and only for the half hour seat hopped between her seat an the one next to her and Dad's lap. So a complete success in my opinion! Plus at the end, when the credits started to roll, she said "Want to watch it again", so she must have liked what portions of the movie she actually paid attention to! :)

I was also super happy to hear about all the options in our city for Canada Day this year! In the past it's seemed like all there is to do is just go to Diefenbaker Hill to take in the festivities. In addition to Lathey's party there was also the Jazz festival and a Dundonald Fun day! I'm so glad we have options!

Until next year! :)

1 comment:

  1. Glad you had a good day!

    Little R had the same C is for Canada shirt as L! I did see one other little girl at the playground with the same shirt too.

    Beautiful family photo! Love it.

    Happy Canada!

    -JMc

    p.s. I hate blogger and it's insisting that I prove that I'm a human (with tests I can't complete with a phone). Grrrr.

    ReplyDelete