If you remember back a few months ago, I posted about the trial of Oskar Groening and how, at the age of Ninety-Four he was on trial for Nazi war crimes, because laws in Germany have changed so that anyone who did anything for the Nazis at any point can now be charged with accessory to murder.
I actually stopped looking up the trial because of constant delays. Oskar got really sick mid way through the trial and it was postponed a bunch, so whenever I checked there was no new info. Gradually I checked less and less frequently, to the point I wasn't checking anymore.
Last night I was reading through my usual news websites and came across an article about a new trial of another NINETY ONE year old woman being charged with accessory for murder because she was a radio operator. The article stated that a ninety four year old had been charged earlier this year, so I googled it, and sure enough. Oskar got 4 years. You can read about it here. I am mad about it. I agreed with one of the plaintiffs that he should have had community service where he spoke out about what happened during the Holocaust. Then some good would have come of it, and I think it would have been a reasonable "punnishment" for just being a cog in a big evil clock. So anyone that was interested in that previous post... I guess that's the follow up. Poor guy is probably going to die in jail or die appealing the ruling.
SO, there's a new story now. As you probably figured, with the limited info this article presents. I feel pretty similar to the last trial.
Germany may need to have a geriatric jail if they keep up at this pace. I wouldn't mind working there. All the inmates are in their 90s and are there feeling shame for getting sucked into a Nazi black hole in their 20s... I doubt they'd have shanks. I'm in!
But in all seriousness, what the hell? Seriously?? What. The. Hell?
No comments:
Post a Comment