A blog by a self declared book geek and snob, dedicated to everything bookish...
Pages
Friday, January 29, 2016
Dark Places
Libby Day was just seven years old when her evidence put her fifteen-year-old brother behind bars.
Since then, she had been drifting. But when she is contacted by a group who are convinced of Ben's innocence, Libby starts to ask questions she never dared to before. Was the voice she heard her brother's? Ben was a misfit in their small town, but was he capable of murder? Are there secrets to uncover at the family farm or is Libby deluding herself because she wants her brother back?
She begins to realise that everyone in her family had something to hide that day...especially Ben. Now, twenty-four years later, the truth is going to be even harder to find.
Who did massacre the Day family?
NOTE: When I read books I make notes on my phone of things I want to say about them so that I don't forget things I want to say. Unfortunately, the note for Dark Places has mysteriously disappeared, so I apologize if this is short, I finished this book over a month ago and have read several since... I also might add edits afterwards if I think of more things to mention...
I found this book was pretty on par with the previous Gillian Flynn book I read, Sharp Objects. It was enjoyable and interesting, and I can honestly say that I didn't figure out any plot points ahead of schedule, but once they were revealed, they made sense. Nothing was particularly shocking, but surprising in a good way.
I found it interesting the conundrum I had with the main character, Libby. This poor girl went through such horrible things, but I couldn't bring myself to feel sorry for her or like her at all. She was someone that coasted on donated money her whole life and didn't contribute to the world in any way. At all. She was very frustrating. And on top of her uselessness, she really was horrible to a lot of people, and felt she was owed something by almost everyone. But maybe that was the point of writing her that way. Making us recognize that having terrible things happen to you doesn't make you a good person, and doesn't mean everyone needs to be your friend. You still need to be a good person to make friends. They don't come with monetary donations.
It was an interesting read, give it a go if you are a bit into mysteries or have read her other stuff and liked it. I'm looking forward to reading Gone Girl (and watching the movie on Netflix!) now that I have read her previous work.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

I read Gone Girl, and then watched the movie. However, this one I saw on Neflix without realising it was a book originally. I haven't decided if I'll read the book or not now that I've watched the movie.
ReplyDelete(By the way, I'm behind on both reading blogs and writing blogs, so I'm playing MAJOR catch up!)