A blog by a self declared book geek and snob, dedicated to everything bookish...

Monday, May 30, 2016

Choosing My Next Book.

Considering the number of books I have in my house, the list of "to read" books, free ebooks I have downloaded, and my wishlist of available ebooks from the library, I really shouldn't have any difficulty picking up a new book after I complete another. But I do.

Big picture, I think my problem is an overabundance of selection. I know, I know -- it sounds more like a blessing than a problem, but is a slight struggle (even if it is one I am more than willing to accept ;) )

One of the aspects that comes in to effect my decision is accessibility. As much as I LOVE reading an actual, real life book, they are not as accessible at all times as an ebook. When I am feeding Dominic, or sitting and watching the kids play, or at the pharmacy and have to wait a few minutes for a prescription, I do not always have my book with me... unless it's on my phone. I rarely go anywhere without my phone, so even a 5 minute opportunity offers me time to read. More than likely during those 5 minute opportunities, if I am reading an actual book, it is sitting on my bedside table, out of reach. Whereas my phone will be in my pocket or purse. OR the other time ebooks come in handy is when Roland is already in bed and I want to read one more chapter*. Reading on my phone means I can lift up the covers so the screen doesn't shine in his face and I can read to my hearts delight. I also enjoy that I read my ebooks so much faster than my real books, mostly because I have them on me all the time. How fast I read my books makes my GoodReads account look better, I think**.

But I love my real books. I look longingly at my bookshelf in my room of unread books, but lately I am more drawn to my ebooks. As much as I love cuddling up with a real book in bed, sometimes that's not enough to win me over....

The next consideration is what type of book I am due for. I hate reading too many Young Adult or Chick Lit in a row because I feel it ruins my book street cred***. Plus I pride myself on my eclectic tastes in books, so I prefer to spread around the love in genre form. So what did I read last? What would the balance be? Am I ready to commit to reading another Non-Fiction this year? Do I need something light or heavy? Do I want something simple or something that challenges my opinions or viewpoints? All of these things need to be considered before I can just leap into a new book.

So the question remains... what the heck am I going to read next?


*It's never really only one more chapter.
** As a side not, everyone needs to either update their GoodReads account more often, or sign up for GoodReads if you haven't already. Sometimes all it takes to make my day is to see what someone thought of a book I have never read. The saddest day this week was a day that I went 24 hours without ANYONE updating their goodreads account. I was borderline depressed that day. 
*** I'm only really half kidding here

1 comment:

  1. My thought: Look at your shelf, pick a book, get it on ereader ;) Then you could pick up the physical book if you want, or if you only end up reading it from your ereader, then the spine of the real book will have been in no danger ;)

    -JMc

    ReplyDelete