So, I learned something on this trip to
the lake. No matter how little time you have to read at home, ALWAYS
bring a second book to the lake...
On every single trip I have taken
anywhere in the past 20 years I have always brought multiple books.
Most of the time, I don't need the extras I bring. They usually sit
in my bag, carefully protected by clothes and other items, and are
not removed until I get home. On this past trip to the lake, I only
brought the book I was about 1/3 of the way through, but did not
bring an extra. Why would I? I hadn't gotten to read a significant
portion of my book at home, and there are SO many more fun things to
do at the lake, I didn't think I would have a chance to finish the
book I was on, let alone start another one. How wrong I was! Because
I don't want Rosalie getting too much sun, or being accosted by all
of the evil bugs up here, we generally go outside at least once a
day, but never for too long, always in the shade, and the nice clean
air with a high oxygen content puts her right to sleep... for several
hours. And what is the prime leisure activity for a book
geek/snob/nazi? Read, of course!
So this is the book I swiped off of my
mom's lake bookshelf in order to have something to read for the last
half (!) of my lake trip. For the record I did not realize that it
was a movie before I started reading it. I didn't realize this until
I was a few chapters in and one night my mom suggested watching a
movie and she listed off the ones she brought up, and lo and behold,
Sun Flower and the Secret Fan was one of them! So I apologize for
doing two reviews in a row on books that have been made into movies,
the next one, I promise, will not be.
~*~
In nineteenth-century China, in a remote Hunan county, a girl named Lily, at the tender age of seven, is paired with a laotong, “old same,” in an emotional match that will last a lifetime. The laotong, Snow Flower, introduces herself by sending Lily a silk fan on which she’s painted a poem in nu shu, a unique language that Chinese women created in order to communicate in secret, away from the influence of men. As the years pass, Lily and Snow Flower send messages on fans, compose stories on handkerchiefs, reaching out of isolation to share their hopes, dreams, and accomplishments. Together, they endure the agony of foot-binding, and reflect upon their arranged marriages, shared loneliness, and the joys and tragedies of motherhood. The two find solace, developing a bond that keeps their spirits alive. But when a misunderstanding arises, their deep friendship suddenly threatens to tear apart.
As with many historical fiction novels,
this book makes a point of giving the reader a glimpse of what the
cultural beliefs of the time were. I am always shocked by the way
women were treated in various historical societies. In this case, the
Chinese culture, where women are tortured with their footbinding
traditions and where the sentement “Thank you for raising a
worthless daughter” is a typical statement made by a new bride to
her parents as she is leaving her natal home, on her way to her new
husband's abode, among other ghastly scenarios. This hatred of women
is something I don't believe I will EVER understand. How can women be
considered so worthless when they are the ones that bring men into
this world? I know this is a very modern consideration, but I don't
understand how it could possibly be overlooked in the past, by
anyone, anywhere.
I was really moved by this book on
several occasions because of the fabulous sisterhood and female
friendships in this book. I loved the concept of a friendship that
was arranged, similar to an arranged marriage, and was meant to be
more intimate and loving than a husband/wife relationship. I thought
it was such a fabulous idea, and it was unfortunate that not all
girls had them. When I first read about this laotong
relationship, my first thought was “Wow, I wish we had things like
that!” then I realized that we have the option of choosing our
friends for ourselves, which these girls didn't have... so... we're
way better off... I guess I just got into the main character's head a
little too much. She was really excited about it, so so was I. :)
Along with the great, exciting times, I
also cried on two separate occasions while reading this book. The
first was at the loss of a child at birth, which I read, while
sitting next to my sleeping daughter. I could not imagine the pain
and suffering another mother can endure while holding one of their
children that have died, by any means. It's not the right order of
things. Children are meant to bury parents, not vice versa. Having
only known my daughter for a few months (or almost a year, if you
count the time she spent in utero), I cannot imagine my life without
her, or how I would have reacted if something had kept her from me
after she was born. I don't think I would have accepted it as well as
the woman did in this book.
The second time was when a
correspondence, which turns out to be a miscommunication, leaves one
of the girls feeling betrayed and abandoned, and the other feeling
confused and alone. I can relate to both women on the side of this
misunderstanding. On the one hand, Women are fickle, spiteful,
horrible creatures. I have been scorned on so many occasions by
female friends throughout my entire life I don't care to even think
about how many of them there have been. Whether it has been as a
young girl when someone I considered an extremely close friend
abandoned me with the potential to hang out with a more popular
crowd; to the preteen and teenage years where, like some people are
serial daters, I was the victim of serial “bestfrienders”, where
I went from being the first person my bestfriend wanted to hang out
with, to being slowly forgotten for someone else; and then right up
through to my late-twenties when friends have chosen to determine my
motives before I have even acted and made me feel like an outsider
that's not welcome. I dealt with this situations very differently
when I got older. When I was young, I would be hurt, but I would
accept the change and move on. As I got older I got progressively
more angry and dealt with things more rashly. I think it's because my
friendships now mean so much more to me, that it hurts more to feel
that you aren't worthy, or aren't loved in return. I don't blame the
character in this book for acting so impulsively and trying to hurt
the other woman as much as she had been hurt.
On the other hand, women react
according to our emotions rather than logic on many occasions. I have
seen this in myself as well as every single one of my female friends.
When someone insults or betrays a woman, many of us react with anger
and hostility and are so content to be angry and hostile that we may
not listen to reason after the fact. Anger makes you see red, and
very little can disorient that skewed vision. The written word is the
worst for leading to these assumptions. Misinterpretations happen all
the time simply because of the lack of tone in anything written.
Another problem is that many women love drama, and will throw others
under the bus in order to gossip and hate or be angry other women.
It's brutal. I have had enough fortune that I have not been entirely
cut from another woman's life because of a misinterpretation of what
I have written or said, but I have had friends that have. So I can
understand how awful it is for the second woman, who scorned her
friend unintentionally and had to suffer the consequences without
really knowing what happened.
These types of problems don't seem to happen with men. Who knows why, but I am glad my daughter will grow up
surrounded by many boys the same age as her. Hopefully, this will
help spare her from the horridness of a clan of women, even if only
in her early life.
Ok... back on track now (sorry for the
tangent, but this book really did evoke plenty of emotions for me).
This book is fabulous. If you love historical fiction, reading about
friendships, enjoy a good cry once and a while, like chinese history,
etc., etc., etc.,... basically if you are a woman that likes to read
fiction. Period. Read this book. You will enjoy it I promise. And
hopefully it'll give you a lot to think about, like the way it had
for me.

No comments:
Post a Comment