A blog by a self declared book geek and snob, dedicated to everything bookish...

Thursday, July 5, 2012

How to finish a book...


...when you're the mother of a 2 ½ month old.

Step 1: Go to the lake... Step 2: Make sure you spend at least an hour outside a day, to give your child optimal oxygen intake... Step 3: Read to your hearts content, because your child will sleep the majority of the time spent in the cabin.

~*~

Remember that book I mentioned that I had technically been reading since the night before I went into labour? I finished it today. Hurrah! It only took me, oh, almost 11 weeks. Sheesh! What kind of book nerd am I? I can't even remember when the last time it took me 11 weeks to read a book... But, YAY! My first current book review. Maybe if I get lots of time at the lake this summer I might squeak another review in before fall...



It’s 1988 and Dexter Mayhew and Emma Morley have only just met. But after only one day together, they cannot stop thinking about one another. Over twenty years, snapshots of that relationship are revealed on the same day—July 15th—of each year. Dex and Em face squabbles and fights, hopes and missed opportunities, laughter and tears. And as the true meaning of this one crucial day is revealed, they must come to grips with the nature of love and life itself.

The book I read is One Day by David Nicholls. If anyone is familiar, this IS the book that the movie starring Anne Hathaway and *swoon* Jim Sturgess. [Haven't seen it yet, wanted to wait 'til I finished the book, EVEN though it has my hollywood boyfriend in it. Book Nerd credibility restored] It tells the story of Dexter Mayhew and Emma Morely through their friendship in annual increments over twenty years beginning on the day that their friendship started – July 15, 1988.

This is a fabulous summer read! It's pretty light hearted and funny at points, but is real in so far as many friendships have their difficult moments, and if Dexter and Emma's weren't caught on the exact anniversary date, then the repercussions of those tough moments reverberated on the next July 15th, and so we know exactly where they were at, how they feel, and what important events have happened over the year. I found the writing style, of the annual increments, great for my situation because putting it down and picking it up chapter by chapter is a pretty effective way of living their relationship. I didn't need to remember precisely what happened in the last chapter (or last year, if you want to think about it that way), because they have an ever evolving relationship all the time, and if an incident needs to be made reference to, it is.

Fun book. Very entertaining. Can't wait to watch the movie (when I have time)

No comments:

Post a Comment