*Warning - this article and post deal with some pretty heafty issues, if you don't want to know my political opinions, leave now. If you are faint of heart and don't like talking about abortion or dead babies, LEAVE NOW! Don't read any further!!!*
Couple suffer because of Abortion Law in Nebraska
I read the above article today because it came up in my News Feed on Facebook, and I had a pretty strong reaction to it.
These days, I cry about almost anything baby related. Good stories, Sad stories, anything in between. I have always had opinions on anything baby related, but a few of them have changed since I became a mom. I think this is pretty common for any parent.
I cried reading the above article, because it involved a mom holding her baby while she died in her arms. I cannot imagine if that had happened to Rosalie. I would be devastated and I don't know if I would ever get over it. Thankfully, this is not the case, but it still makes me upset.
But really, what gave me the strong reaction is that this couple decided they wanted to terminate a pregnancy after 20 weeks, because the mom's water had broken and there was nothing the doctors could do for her. The law in Nebraska makes terminating a pregnancy after 20 weeks illegal, so the mom's labour started at 22 weeks, her daughter struggled to breathe for 15 minutes and then died. They are now speaking out against the law because they feel in their special case an abortion should have been allowed.
Now, *technically* I am pro-choice. Pregnancy is not for everyone and I understand that, some situations (such as rape or extreme mental and physical deficiencies in fetuses) I believe that it may be a good choice to terminate a pregnancy. If someone I knew got pregnant and had an abortion early in their pregnancy, I would not agree with it, but I wouldn't hold it against her. It is her choice. People make mistakes, that's why they have erasers on the ends of most pencils.
But I am somewhat in support of the Nebraska law because it's based on the research that states that fetuses can feel pain at 20 weeks gestation. [warning: suggested graphic images coming! Do not go further if you don't think you want to read what I am about to write next!! This is your last warning!] Anyone who has seen the documentary Lake of Fire will know that at 20 weeks gestation they have to basically chop up your fetus in utero and suck it out with a vacuum. I can imagine that this would be torturous for a baby.
Personally, if the situation had happened to me, I would rather deliver my baby that I knew wouldn't survive, hold her for those 15 minutes, watch her die, and bury her completely intact. I would not want to go sit in a chair while a doctor chops up the baby inside of me and sucks her out and then have her in pieces in a sink. That makes me sick.
[/rant]
If anyone is interested in watching an amazing documentary on abortion, see the film Lake Of Fire, as I mentioned above. It is extremely graphic and horrible to watch at times, but it changed my opinion on abortion. You can tell the filmmaker is pro-choice. He tries to remain unbias, but you can totally tell what his agenda is. Although it is interesting because that film made me a little more pro-life, just because it showed you exactly how an abortion is done. He tells the story of girls that are getting these abortions and your heart just breaks for them. The pro-lifers are portrayed as crazy, bible thumping yuppies with little to no education, and also promote evil in many other ways. But 10 years ago if you asked me my position on abortion I would have said "Whatever! It's up to the woman. She can do whatever she wants!" but now... I have a few more issues with abortion at all. Interesting movie anywhoo. Check it out if you can stomach it.
Abortion is a touchy one...I'm not going to say too much other than this:
ReplyDelete"Just give him a name and say it once so he knows he's been born. Even the wee ones that only get a breath need to know that they were cuddled and loved and that the world is kind".
Great quotation Shauna! Where's it from?
DeleteThe Birth House. You're lucky I used it. It makes me tear up EVERY time I see it.
ReplyDelete