A blog by a self declared book geek and snob, dedicated to everything bookish...

Sunday, August 19, 2012

Feet are gross...


I hate feet.

People that are even remotely close to me know this about me because I don't keep secrets about it. I don't like people to see my feet, I don't like to see other people's feet, I don't want to touch other people's feet. The very concept of playing footsie under a table makes we want to puke. VERY few people have used it against me or tried to tease me with it. On those few cases I cried and would never trust those people with anything. Ever.

I hate feet.

I have no idea where or when this started. I remember being at the lake when I was younger and wearing flip flops, but never at home. But I also remember getting blisters between my toes every summer when I tried to wear them. HATED that. Did my feet hatred come from that?? Maybe.

I also remember my dad tickling my feet when I was really little until I almost puked I was laughing so hard. Is that the root of my foot hatred? Not likely, because I was REALLY little then, and didn't mind feet after that.

I think the most likely time that my foot-phobia began was the summer I found out one of my cousins had a foot fungal thing (Athlete's foot, maybe? I have no idea what it was). It looked awful. I was pretty grossed out by it. Another time that summer someone else told me that we sweat, like, 100 litres of sweat through our feet every day (ok, slight exaggeration, but I don't remember the exact statistic but it was gross, non the less).

The way I am, this probably prompted me to WAY overthink things about feet. For example, if people sweat more through their feet than any other part of their body, imagine wearing barefeet on the floor of a Karate Dojo or Dance studio. Disgusting. Or when you go over to someones house, and they wear barefeet in their house all the time, but you don't know how often they vacuum or wash their floors. I'd rather just keep my socks on, thank you. AND on top of that do you know this friends' house, Karate Dojo, or Dance Studio has NOT had someone with a gross looking foot fungus walking around with barefeet on it? Are those kinds of things contagious? Even if their not, I don't particularly want to walk around on someone elses' foot fungus. *shudder*

Here are a couple fun facts about my foot hatred phobia thing...

Fun Fact #1: I have only had one pedicure ever. I did not cry, but the technician kept telling me to relax. I went with two friends who thought it would rid me of the phobia thing. It did not. But I appreciated that they tried to help and went with me understanding we might very well be escorted from the premises if I kicked the technician in the face.

Fun Fact #2: I don't mind animal feet, or baby feet. This includes monkeys. I still don't want to touch them. But I don't mind seeing them. But I HATE seeing people feet. In fact, many of the pictures from my wedding that were veto'd from the posting or printing were AXED because you could see my feet (I wore flip flops because it wouldn't make sense to wear shoes on the beach in Hawaii). The exception is baby feet because I can't imagine them sweating that much or getting funguses that early. Babies are clean, so they are very inoffensive. Still, I have no intention of touching your baby's feet, and I will probably do everything I can to avoid their feet touching me.

However, consequently, I touch Rosalie's feet ALL the time. I play with them while she's on the change table, and while she's eating. I play This Little Piggy with her. And on occasion, I kiss her feet. I love her little feet. Don't ask me why. Don't ask me when it will stop. It just is how it is. Don't worry, this confuses me too.

So for any of you who may have ever wondered... there ya go.

3 comments:

  1. (wore shoes on the beach in Hawaii - at Annie's wedding no less)

    Love the fun facts. I don't have much of a problem with feet, but I still tend to rethink kissing the baby's feet. I donno, they're just babies. It will be intetesting to see if your opinion on Rosalie's feet change eventually.

    -JMcQ

    ReplyDelete
  2. On the flip side, I know a lady who won't shake your hand, and hates door knobs, but sells shoes.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey! Whatever floats (or sinks) your boat, right?

    And thank you for your comment Anonymous stranger! :)

    ReplyDelete