So here are the pictures of my veggie gardening...
| Ignore the weeds and the dog poo... cucumbers on the left, carrots on the right. |
| The first carrot plucked! It's still pretty small (and this is one of the bigger ones, but I kinda need to thin them out anyway. So I may pluck a few more in the next few days. Yummy, healthy treats! |
You may have noticed I did not post any pictures of my front flowerbeds or containers. This is because I have realized I am NOT a flower gardener. The nasturtiums in the pots did really well. I got a crap-tonne of leaves really early and eagerly anticipated their flowers... then I went to the lake and they bloomed, but did not get enough water (I got them because they do well even in drought conditions supposedly), and now they look terrible.
In fear of plucking the flowers I planted while I was weeding, I opted not to weed much in the front flowerbeds. (I have a feeling I may have still plucked the Money Plants by accident, because none of them ever came up) By the time they sprouted and I recognized them as flowers they were overrun by weeds. And now I can't be bothered to try to fix them. The bulbs that I didn't plant and were there before looked REALLY good... at different times. I wanted to get a picture of them, but the peonies bloomed really early, and the lilies didn't bloom until the peonies were all wilted. So... no picture. Plus the weeds would have looked terrible... ugh, the weeds... I think the plan for next year might be to just plant more bulbs. They seemed to do better than anything else.
The other problem I had is that if I only had, say 30 minutes to weed, I always weeded the veggie garden before I would weed the front. The veggie garden is so much more practical. They provide me with FOOD! Whereas the flowers just look pretty. Seems like a no-brainer to me.
There is still a bit of growing season left, so we'll see if any of those pesky tomatoes come in, and I'll post some pics of my cucumbers when they actually grow to a decent size :)
No comments:
Post a Comment