So, I'm going to cheat a little on my initial description of this blog and post a review of a movie I recently saw.
I posted on Facebook that I was going to sit down and watch Midnight In Paris, and I was surprised at the response that I got from both lovers and haters of the movie. It was interesting, because that's kinda how I felt going into watching it.
Woody Allen and I really don't get along. I had never seen a movie of his that I liked. In highschool, when Leonardo DiCaprio was my hollywood boyfriend, I watched Celebrity because he was in it. Not only was Leo not in it nearly enough, but the movie was pretty stupid. Antz, which I know he didn't write or direct, I still found really pretentious and stupid. Vicky Christina Barcelona... don't get me started. And so on, and so forth....
But when I read the description of Midnight in Paris, I was really excited... until I noticed that it was written and directed by Woody Allen. This made me somewhat trepidatious and ambivalent . But, I thought I would bite the bullet and watch it.
The things that I LOVED about it were these characters developed from authors, artists, and musicians from the 20s. I loved Ernest Hemingway and F. Scott Fitzgerald. They talked like they write their books in the movie, and I thought that made them fantastic and funny! It seems really cheesy, but I really liked it. Salvador Dali was fantastic, as a surrealist painter, was really strange and things that would make normal people think you are crazy, he finds completely acceptable. LOVE IT! Fabulous!
The one BIG thing that I hated about this movie (and all of Woody's movies that I've seen), is that he writes himself as the main character, even if he won't be playing the role. Owen Wilson's role, was basically to play Woody Allen, because Woody can't play that young engaged-to-be-married man anymore. He's too old. So he makes an actor play him in the role. It's so FRUSTRATING! I think Owen Wilson could have done a great job if he'd played it his own way, but all I saw was Woody Allen... and I didn't like it.
Another thing I disliked, the movie poster, which I think is beautiful, is somewhat misleading. I thought I would also get to meet Vincent VanGogh in this movie. Does the poster not suggest that? But no... no Vinny. I know, I know. MOST of the time travel takes place in the 20s, and Vinny was long dead by then... but I was hopeful. It's a beautiful movie poster regardless...
So, if you were a lover or a hater of this movie, PLEASE post your thoughts! I would love to read them! :)

No comments:
Post a Comment