About 3 hours after landing on Canadian soil I realized that Canadian winters and I do not really get along.
It's not just the cold that makes me say this, but I will confess that that was the first deciding factor that I came across since leaving Hawaii. Walking out into the cold on the tarmac in Edmonton was not fun, especially because we didn't have our winter jackets with us, they were being brought to us at the Saskatoon airport by my brother who was picking us up.
The next clue came after I had a shower before going to bed that night. I went about and did my nighttime routine and then looked at myself in the mirror and my cheeks (the FACE ones, for the record) were bright red and dry. UGH! I HATE dry skin, and within 12 hours of being in Hawaii my skin was healed from all of this dry cold we get in Saskatchewan, and within 6 hours of returning the dry skin is back.
And my cold is back. about 24 hours after being in Saskatoon, my cold is back. So stupid.
And don't think we didn't actually talk about moving to Hawaii while we were there. Roland even went to the point of comparing wages of our professions (He looked up teaching for me, but to be completely honest I would take a job at the jail there if I couldn't teach. It is SO funny and little and low security. We saw all the inmates sitting outside for lunch one day, no beach volleyball this year though, and seriously, their barbed-wire fence is waist high. It seriously is the only jail I kinda actually WANT to work in) and not surprisingly the wages are much lower there than in Saskatchewan, or mainland US for that matter. Yet the living expenses are so high...
But we also talked about the flipside. It is still the United States. I like the direction that ObamaCare is taking, but it is still MILES (or Kilometers, for us Canadians ;) ) from being as good as the Canadian Healthcare system. The jobs we would get would probably have benefits, but I still don't really support that whole system. Also we saw the aftermath of a car accident and Roland pointed out that something like that can bankrupt a family for the person at fault, and lots of people don't have good insurance on that front.
So really, we can't move to Hawaii. But maybe eventually it can be our retirement plan, just like my Dad's. Save up money from now until then, then buy a house and live there 6 [cold] months out of the year. I mean, seriously, the -67°C windchill that is being forcasted today is not making a great case for staying in Saskatchewan for the winter...
No comments:
Post a Comment