A blog by a self declared book geek and snob, dedicated to everything bookish...

Wednesday, March 19, 2014

The Rosie Project



Meet Don Tillman.
Don is getting married.
He just doesn't know who to yet.
But he has designed a very detailed questionnaire to help him find the perfect woman.

One thing he already knows, though, is that it's not Rosie.
Absolutely, completely, definitely not.

Don Tillman is a socially challenged genetics professor who's decided the time has come to find a wife. His questionnaire is intended to weed out anyone who's unsuitable. The trouble is, Don has rather high standards and doesn't really do flexible so, despite lots of takers, he's not having much success in identifying The One.

When Rosie Jarman comes to his office, Don assumes it's to apply for the Wife Project - and duly discounts her on the grounds she smokes, drinks, doesn't eat meat, and is incapable of punctuality. However, Rosie has no interest in becoming Mrs Tillman and is actually there to enlist Don's assistance in a professional capacity: to help her find her biological father.

Sometimes, though, you don't find love: love finds you...



I love, LoVe, LOVE this book! So many reasons. I really hope I don't miss any, but I am also going to make a great effort to not spoil anything because ALL of you should read this if you haven't already. I think a male or female audience can appreciate it (although there may be a bit too much of a love story for some men, but I think the hilarity and social comments would make up for it). Young, old, no matter what profession, no matter what socioeconomic status... everyone should be able to get something from this book.

First of all, I like that ambiguity of the main character's "Aspergers" status. It is suggested to him early in the novel by a friend, but he doesn't catch on, and doesn't confirm or deny the suggestion. I like this because it isn't definitive and it doesn't pigeon-hole or label Don in any way. We get a bit of a better feel for him, and I'm sure we all know someone like him that we can relate to, but without judging him. It sorta reminds me of Sheldon from Big Bang Theory, it has been suggested (by fans, more than the creators) that Sheldon might have Aspergers, but nothing definitive. He's just Sheldon.

He makes some great points on the ludicrousness of many social conformities that are considered normal and how the literal translations of thinks like "Jackets are required" in a dress code really can be quite confusing. It really makes a statement about how ambiguous a straight-forward comment may seem and how silly some social conformities are.

I really found all of the characters well rounded and their motivations were very interesting and realistic. I also loved how almost all of them had some hypocritical aspects to them (eg. a feminist that wants to be told she is beautiful, a social drinker who wants to find someone that abstains from alcohol.... etc). I think the hypocrisy of people is something that we all like to pretend isn't there and it is something that we don't like (or try) to see in ourselves.

Although this book is fiction, I also really liked the "unconditional love" theme, not just in the main characters, but also in friendships and other relationships throughout the book. It gives me hope that there is someone for everyone, and that lots of people can look past the social awkwardness of others. It made me evaluate my own approach to socially awkward situations. I think I have always been good at situations in school, or people who very obviously are living with a disability, but I think sometimes in situations where others are borderline "normal" I get a bit frustrated. Something to really look out for in the future. Yay for self-evaluation!

I really am concerned about saying too much, or not enough. But I think I am going to end it there. If you have questions, please ask, but know that I would recommend this book to you no matter who you are.

P.S. I'm sorry if I built this book up quite a bit, and thus made expectations really hight. I am aware that it is entirely possible that I might be in love with this book so much because the last one I read was so awful. But I really did like it! And you should still read it... really... go read it...

No comments:

Post a Comment