This year we totally low-keyed our Canada Day, which is funny because it is one of my favourite holidays. Not only is it a great day to show pride in our country that is SO great in SO many ways, but it also kinda marks the beginning of "summer vacation" in Saskatchewan. With our climate being the way that it is, and kids just being let out of school a few days prior, it really is a great kickoff to the summer.
 |
| Canada Day at Lathey Pool 2013 |
Last year, We went to Lathey Pool for a "family fun day" and it was great. The weather was beautiful, we had SO much fun. And then in the afternoon Rosalie and I got all decked out in our Canada Gear for the rest of the day.
 |
| The Eh Team - Canada Day 2013 |
In past years, we had headed up to Waskesiu to take in the festivities there, but it has become more and more busy and I am having less and less patience for it. Non-locals just come up because it's free to get into the park and then do stupid things... like drive through the parade, or just drive stupid down the main street, or litter... or whatever. Ain't Nobody Got Time For That! So I am now boycotting the lake on Canada Day, which is too bad, because it can be a really good time. But there are lots of other weeks that I can go where it will be slower and more relaxing, which is really what the lake should be about anyway.
This year was totally different. We talked about going to Lathey again, and making it kinda like an annual tradition, but this year our daily schedule is a bit different. Rosalie normally naps at 12:30-1:00ish, and the pools open at 1:00. On a nice beautiful holiday, it is likely to be busy so it is a must to be there before 1:00 to get in line to claim a square of grass to put your towels down on. Last year it worked out because Rosalie was still napping twice a day and so she had a nap at 10:00am, and then after we got back at about 4:00. So we decided against Lathey this year. (This was kinda a relief anyway for me, because I have even outgrown my maternity swimsuit, so thank goodness! No one in public needed to see that!) Instead, we just put up the pool in the backyard and Brayden and Roland had a waterfight.
 |
Drinkin' the pool water - Canada Day 2014 (This was the only picture I could get of her before my phone went on the fritz. First it told me I needed space, then when I plugged it into the computer it said I needed to upgrade, then it told me that the things I had removed, actually put me OVER my capacity... oy vey...) |
We decided as a family event to head out to a movie instead of the pool. This was a good idea in my opinion for a few simple reasons... 1) Since it was nice out, it was unlikely the theatre would be packed, and considering that this would be Rosalie's first non-"movies for mommies" movie, I didn't know how well she would do, and 2) It has been a LONG time since we went to a family movie, and 3) We all wanted to see How To Train Your Dragon 2. Rosalie ended up doing WAY better than I thought she would. She actually sat at watched about the first half of the movie in her seat munching her popcorn and drinking her drink, the second half she did wander a bit, but we were at Galaxy in the first row behind the walkway (like, not the front FRONT row, next to the screen, so technically the 3rd row), so she wandered down to the front rows and seat hopped for a while, then she came back and sat on Roland's knee for about 20 minutes and then wandered a bit again, but she never yelled or cried unnecessarily (she cried when she fell once, while on the concrete at the front, but as soon as I went and got her she stopped), and there weren't that many people in the theatre, and most that were there did have kids of their own... I don't
think we really bothered anyone. It was a successful movie outing in my opinion.
 |
| First Big Girl movie outing! Canada Day 2014 |
So that was our Canada Day! And you may even notice that Rosalie was not decked out in Canada gear, and neither was I, but this wasn't really intentional. I noticed that I had forgotten to get Rosalie a Canada top this year this morning. Not that I wasn't looking, just that I hadn't found anything I loved on the spot and didn't think of going out to get one in the few days prior. I also had no Canada gear, because the shirt I wore last year currently doesn't fit me (HA!! Obviously...), and I was planning on wearing my red tank top, but couldn't find it (found it at the bottom of my laundry hamper later in the day). So no Canada themed clothing :(
So this was the lowest of the low key Canada days this year. Don't worry, next year I vow to double the Canada-ness of our day. Promise!
No comments:
Post a Comment