A blog by a self declared book geek and snob, dedicated to everything bookish...

Monday, August 31, 2015

Eight Hundred Grapes


There are secrets you share, and secrets you hide…

Growing up on her family’s Sonoma vineyard, Georgia Ford learned some important secrets. The secret number of grapes it takes to make a bottle of wine: eight hundred. The secret ingredient in her mother’s lasagna: chocolate. The secret behind ending a fight: hold hands.

But just a week before her wedding, thirty-year-old Georgia discovers her beloved fiancé has been keeping a secret so explosive, it will change their lives forever.

Georgia does what she’s always done: she returns to the family vineyard, expecting the comfort of her long-married parents, and her brothers, and everything familiar. But it turns out her fiancé is not the only one who’s been keeping secrets…
 



I have quite a few summer reads waiting for me, and this was the first one I decided to pick up. I (and I am sure lots of other readers) prefer really light easy reads in the summer, and as this year is proving to be a busy one that isn't leaving me much time to read, this approach to reading is working out conveniently since often when I return to a book it's been a few days and I need something that is easy to remember what has happened already and catch up pretty easily. So this book worked perfectly.

I enjoyed this book as a summer read. I really wasn't expecting too much from it, all I really wanted was something fun to keep me entertained and I definitely got that from this book. I had a few laugh out loud moments, a few shake your head moments, and a lot of relatable moments while reading this book. I loved the little family idioms. I liked that the family had it's own little quirks and wasn't WAY out there, but was still one of those disfunctional families you wouldn't really want to be a part of; it's entertaining because it's happening to someone else and not you. This family seems like they could be your neighbours. I can't say I agreed with all of the decisions that the characters made, but it almost makes it more relatable that way. 

Give it a go! I enjoyed it and I hope you do too!

1 comment: