A blog by a self declared book geek and snob, dedicated to everything bookish...

Friday, August 21, 2015

Mason's Birthday Party

Today we headed out to Yorkton to celebrate Mason's first birthday. Mason is one of Dominic's heart buddies that he shared a room with after we returned to RUH from Edmonton to recover fully from his first Open Heart Surgery (OHS). There was a huge number of people there. I don't want to guess how many, but there was one very evident person that was missing physically, and that was Mason.

Mason passed away in February after some complications with his second OHS.

Although I am sure he was at his birthday party in spirit, no one could help but feel his absence physically. I felt it every time I talked about Dominic's growth, or heart condition, or milestones to people that night. All I could think of is that Mason would have been tackling the same things as Dominic had he made it through to today.

The Zipper Club. (left to right: Asher, Dominic, Emmett, and Ryker) These babes are all born within a month of eachother. Dom is the oldest, and Asher is the youngest. Dom has a different heart defect from these 3 and Mason though. They have HLHS and Dom had a Truncus Arteriosis. 

I would have killed to see Mason playing with all the heart buddies that were there to celebrate him. I would have loved to have 3 babies in our Team 3105 picture rather than just two, and 5 heart babies in the zipper club photo rather than 4, but I am super thankful for his Mamma, Sam, that invited us all over to her place to be together and remember Mason.

Love you Mason. I think about you all the time.

Team Room 3105: Asher, Kailey, Sam (Mason), Me, and Dom

No comments:

Post a Comment