This
is the remarkable story of one endearing dog’s search for his
purpose over the course of several lives. More than just another
charming dog story, A Dog’s Purpose touches on the universal quest
for an answer to life's most basic question: Why are we here?
Surprised
to find himself reborn as a rambunctious golden-haired puppy after a
tragically short life as a stray mutt, Bailey’s search for his new
life’s meaning leads him into the loving arms of 8-year-old Ethan.
During their countless adventures Bailey joyously discovers how to be
a good dog.
But
this life as a beloved family pet is not the end of Bailey’s
journey. Reborn as a puppy yet again, Bailey wonders—will he ever
find his purpose?
Heartwarming,
insightful, and often laugh-out-loud funny, A Dog's Purpose is not
only the emotional and hilarious story of a dog's many lives, but
also a dog's-eye commentary on human relationships and the
unbreakable bonds between man and man's best friend. This moving and
beautifully crafted story teaches us that love never dies, that our
true friends are always with us, and that every creature on earth is
born with a purpose.
Being a sucker for puppies, I am also
always a sucker for this kind of book: one told from the perspective
of a dog. Generally it's a pretty safe be that I will love these
types of books, and this one is no exception.
I liked this one better in concept than in reality compared to other dog novels because although you have to live
through a dog dying three (THREE!) times, the reincarnation aspect of
it makes it a little more bearable. You get a glimpse into the
different types of pet owners: the good, and the bad, not so much the
ugly (thank goodness, in my mind the ugly would be organized dog fights and
abuse and stuff, which would probably make me cry, puke, put the book
down, and never go back). The inevitable death of the dog at the end
of these stories are always bitter-sweet. Generally, the dog lived a
good long life and they make me cry (but a good cry, not an unhappy
one), but it's still sad, and makes me think of the mortality of my
own puppy.... and that makes me cry more.
I couldn't help comparing this book to
one by Garth Stein called The Art of Racing in the Rain. If I were to
be highly critical of this novel, I would probably say that Stein's
novel is far better. In The Art of Racing in the Rain, I cried at
several points (not just when the pooch inevitably kicks the bucket),
laughed at others, and came away really feeling like I understood
dogs better. A Dog's Purpose is entertaining, and I did cry at parts,
but I wasn't attached to the humans enough to get emotional over
their troubles, or feel the same way about them that the dog does,
but I enjoyed it anyway.
I'd recommend it for any dog lover!
(but maybe read The Art of Racing in the Rain after this one, that
way you won't be disappointed)
Also, look forward to a review of the
sequel to this one entitled A Dog's Journey, which is currently only
available in Hardcover in bookstores, but I ordered a Trade Paper
cover from my stepson's scholastic book order (holla!)

No comments:
Post a Comment