Sometimes it astonishes me that the continuance of our species is reliant on our babies...
Seriously, if these little munchkins were to follow The Survival of the Fittest model, our species would no longer exist. It is an absolute miracle that more of them don't die from just being curious and having sleep deprived or very busy parents.
I noticed the other day when I was weeding my veggie patch that, no matter where in the yard I left Rose to play, she would always be at my side within a minute... generally grabbing for the spades. If I put her down and want her to stay somewhere, she doesn't. There could be glass shattered all over the kitchen and if I put her in the livingroom to clean up, I would turn around after grabbing the dustpan and she would be right there, probably reaching for the shards of glass. I would need to strap her into her highchair to keep her safe. If I was a mamma deer, I could leave my baby deer in a spot and the baby deer would lie down and stay there, and not move until mamma deer comes back, right? Why don't baby humans do that?
Another thing is that anything I tell her she can't have, she wants more... Especially dangerous thing apparently. We have a childproof latch for our cupboard under the sink and Rosalie has a 6th sense for when I have forgotten to latch it again. She has yet to get anything into her mouth, but loves eyeing up the dishwasher soap, grease drippings, and plant food, among other things... I don't think these things are horribly poisonous (our cleaning cupboard is up WAY higher), but if they were, I'm sure she would be that much more dedicated to getting them.
Sometimes I chase her in the style of different animals to see how she reacts. I don't really WANT to scare her, but sometimes it surprises me if she isn't. Like the time I chased her Velociraptor style. (It's probably a good thing no one else saw me, I probably looked ridiculous) That should be TOTALLY SCARY to a toddler! But she just smiles, squeals, and crawls faster toward whatever bad thing she was planning on doing. I don't think it's because she is playing scared either. I think it's because if she doesn't do that bad thing quickly I will stop her... so she has to get there fast.
In all seriousness, the reason they don't die is because human adults are (generally) intelligent beings, and they do all of the protecting so that our babies can do INSANE things and we will always save them. Plus humans aren't really prey animals. But I think that wolf pack puppies are pretty good at staying put and not eating that poisonous plant over there... freakin' human babies... ;)
I already told you that my baby was playing in the laundry soap tonight, and that is because of the same 6th sense that the laundry room door was open. It is amazing how they just know when the opportunity is there to get into the most trouble possible. Mine of course is opening certain doors now by herself.
ReplyDeleteOn the scaring her away bit, as much as you may imagine you are a scary velociraptor, she still thinks you look very much like mummy being funny, I'm sure ;) Sorry!
-JMc
I think most mammals have this problem. Have you ever seen the show with all the tiny puppies and they grow until they go to their families? Those poor mamas are constantly chasing down their pups who are getting into things. Babies are little monsters! :P Dogs can at least bite them around their necks. HA
ReplyDeleteI MUST see this velociraptor style. Must.
ReplyDelete:)