A blog by a self declared book geek and snob, dedicated to everything bookish...

Wednesday, June 19, 2013

Thunder and Lightning

I recently went for lunch with a friend of mine (my birthday twin in fact) that is part of the Canadian Military and did a tour in Afghanistan a couple of years ago.

I asked what it was like being there and if it was scary, and was told that if you aren't scared, then there is something wrong with you. But at times they would be sitting around having conversations, laughing, enjoying one another's company and all of a sudden a missile would go over head, and all of a sudden they would be brought back to reality. Dorothy, you're not in Saskatchewan anymore...

~*~

I also remember reading an article in the Star Phoenix (maybe last year?) about a Canadian University Student who went to Syria or Libya or some place that was having a civil war on a volunteer basis because her family was from there and she wanted to go help people during these troubled times. She said that at first the sound of bombs and missiles and gunfire scared her, but as she spent more time there it began to be a comfort at night to know that the rebels were still fighting for a better world. It meant that there was still hope.

~*~

Last night as I lay in bed and listened to the thunderstorm, counting seconds between the booms, loving every second, I thought of both of these stories, and was thankful I was listening to the sounds of typical Saskatchewan weather conditions, rather than something so scary and violent. Thankful that I have a roof over my head to protect me from the discomforts that these weather conditions would provide if I were outside or in a less stable home. Thankful that I live in a country, that for the most part, is peaceful and safe. Overall, just thankful that I was lucky enough to be born in Canada...

No comments:

Post a Comment