A blog by a self declared book geek and snob, dedicated to everything bookish...

Friday, June 15, 2012

Hardcore or Just OCD?

So I had mentioned before that I used to have this Fabulous App on Facebook called Visual Bookshelf that I would constantly add books to once I had read them. If I felt moved to, either by hatred or by enthusiasm, I would write a review for them. (These are currently the reviews I am posting. UPDATE: I am finally over 100 pages into the book I'm reading now! It's only taken me 2 months! *fail*) When this program was cancelled, or whatever, they recommended that you use GoodReads, and gave you an option of transferring your booklist to this new program. I thought that was very kind of them and gladly transferred my booklist over. Only to find out that I didn't really like how it worked, and that 13 of my books didn't transfer for some reason. It didn't even notify me of this! I just happened to notice because my book count was lower than it should have been (case of hardcore or OCD? exhibit #1). So because they gave users notice that they were folding (or whatever), I had a chance to find a way to print off my list from Visual Bookshelf in order to compare it to the list in GoodReads (case of hardcore or OCD? exhibit #2). We didn't have internet at my house at the time, so I did this all at my parent's house, but I wasn't going to sit there for several hours looking through this list on their time, so I put a note on it that no one should throw out this list or else their life would be forfeit (case of hardcore or OCD? exhibit #3). Anywhoo, this list has been sitting at their house for over a year, and I finally remembered to bring it to my house to cross reference it. It took me a few days because I could only search through it when Rosalie is sleeping, but I FINALLY figured out which 13 books were missing, which of course the last one was about 10 books from the end of my list (case of hardcore or OCD? exhibit #4). Now my life seems complete again (case of hardcore or OCD? exhibit #5).

So, in your opinion, needing to have this list of books accurate, is this a case of OCD or am I just hardcore? Do you feel this is a complete waste of time and I should make efforts to stop actions such as these, or does it give me more book cred'?

~*~
This book review is totally random and not at all related to this post, but it's one that I think I will have difficulty tying to any post because this book is not at all relatable to my life. None of my English professors were like him, I never had an affair with one, and I have never lived in a rural environment.

This is another book that I read directly before going to see the movie. John Malkovich is awesome, by the way.


A divorced, middle-aged English professor finds himself increasingly unable to resist affairs with his female students. When discovered by the college authorities, he is expected to apologise and repent in an effort to save his job, but he refuses to become a scapegoat in what he see as as a show trial designed to reinforce a stringent political correctness.
He preempts the authorities and leaves his job, and the city, to spend time with his grown-up lesbian daughter on her remote farm. Things between them are strained - there is much from the past they need to reconcile - and the situation becomes critical when they are the victims of a brutal and horrifying attack.
In spectacularly powerful and lucid prose, J.M. Coetzee uses all his formidable skills to engage with a post-apartheid culture in unexpected and revealing ways. This examination into the sexual and politcal lawlines of modern South Africa as it tries desperately to start a fresh page in its history is chilling, uncompromising and unforgettable.

A wonderful novel about the journey a middle-aged man goes on in order to finally appreciate life. No wonder this book resulted in Coetzee's award of the Booker Prize.

On a more personal note, I was disappointed in the ending of this book, solely based on personal preference. The very last choice Lurie makes in the novel is one that I completely disagree with on a moral level-- thus creating a slight blemish on the facade of a book that could have potentially been a "5 star" book


Don't Forget! Post your own reply on the blog entry It's Been One Week! and you could win a prize! Draw date is June 17th! Only 2 days left!

5 comments:

  1. I'd be annoyed if I expected something from a product/service and it failed too. ESPECIALLY if I invested time into thinking and writing about a topic and that was lost.

    I don't keep lists of books because I honestly forget them right after. I've been known to read books twice without realizing. This way I a) don't realize that my working memory is so bad and b) I get to enjoy a book twice without the novelty being gone! :D That said, I do meticulously track other things. Whatever floats your boat!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh--you'll probably get more comments with no word verification. In my experience, it makes no difference on the amount of spammers. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. AH-HA!!! Thanks Meghan! I had no idea what they meant by word verification, so I just left it as the default...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Just figured out how to post without a blog profile! Yay! Anyway, I would do something along the lines of your list. So, I'm not sure I can give you an answer whether it's ocd or not. Although, I always said, that for my job it was best to have some ocd.

    As for the book, I think I liked some aspects of the movie, and obviously disliked others. I'm not entirely sure I know the ending you referred to as ruining the story for you. Was there more in the novel? I can't remember the title of the movie... it wasn't the same, was it?

    Rambling post, sorry... I'm just excited I found a way to reply!

    -JMcQ

    ReplyDelete
  5. Totally OCD sympathetic over here. I've been known not to subscribe to Podcasts if I can't go all the way back to the 1st episode. That being said, Q broadcasts daily and I am somewhere in 2009.

    ReplyDelete