I love re-reading books that I loved the first time around, although I don't do it very often. There are so many new and exciting books out there that I have yet to read, it seems like I am selling myself short by reading books I have already read when I could be reading something new. However there are a few reasons I will re-read a book or series...
First, is when there is a movie coming out. I have this self-sabatoging habit of reading books RIGHT before I see the movie so that I can nit-pick. Sometimes it ruins the movie for me, othertimes I am able to look past the inaccuracies. If I haven't read the book the movie is based on in the last year or so, then I give it a reread.
Another reason I would reread a book is if it's a classic, or a favourite, book or series that needs to be refreshed every few years. When I was in school, I would reread Harry Potter every Christmas when school was out. I also read Anne of Green Gables every so often, although that one hasn't been read in several years now.
The final reason to reread a book is where my dilemma currently lies... When a sequel to a book is released. I prefer to read a series once the entire series has been released, therefore there is no wait time in between. Sometimes this works and sometimes it doesn't. I read the first Hunger Games novel when the last, Mockingjay, had already been released for example. But often, it doesn't work out that way. Harry Potter is an example of this. I started reading them just after the 4th book was released, and then would quickly read all the previous books in the series before the new one was released. Sometimes I don't realize a book is going to have a sequel, so it's just not predictable for me to wait. An example of this is The Devil Wears Prada and Revenge Wears Prada. I bought the latter at Costco when I was there the other day and I am not totally sure how to handle this. I REALLY want to read it, but it has been several years since I read the first, and I don't really have time to reread anything. Plus, I am SO close to being on target for my GoodReads reading challenge. I think I was a day behind being on target when I finished Accidents of Providence, now I am still back to "one book behind schedule". DAMN! SO CLOSE! The other thing is that I still haven't reread the last Harry Potter book from my set that I bought myself for my birthday TWO birthdays ago... but this reading challenge... I am just too competitive of a person I guess.
Are you a rereader? Or an "only once" type of person?
If I love the book, a rereader. Just like movies and television shows that I love, I can reread/rewatch over and over again.
ReplyDeleteI especially like to read books for a second time, if I want to read, but don't have time to start a brand new book, or if I'm travelling. That way I'll know I like it.